Monday, December 12, 2011

She is done with her graceless heart

If you've ever visited a favorite author's website or checked out their blog, it should come as no surprise that most are beginning to create playlists for their stories. Some authors don't believe in listening to music when they write and others swear by it, hence why all writers are different. Still, I've always enjoyed when one posts their list. This way I can hear what songs the author specifically chose for certain parts of the book. Gives the reader a deeper understanding of the tone of the novel, in my opinion.

I'm no exception. Music guides me through the story and helps me get unstuck at points. But what this post is mainly for is to shamelessly plug one of my favorite artists, Florence + the Machine. Florence Welch's lyrics are not just lyrics, their poems; heartfelt, beautiful poems. She is one of the few artists I can listen to and smile no matter what mood I'm in (whether it be foul, happy, or sad). I really don't know how she does it. Even if I've listened to the song 100 times, it will still make me smile.

Though not all of her songs are prefect for my stories, I find listening to her as I write to be the most beneficial because not only are her lyrics perfection, but her melodies are lush and soothing. They bring me to "the zone," which is where every writer wants to go. Below I've included my favorite songs by her. If you've never heard of her before and like what you hear, I recommend you pick up her albums, Lungs and Ceremonials. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Enjoy and hope you all have a fantastic holiday season.







No comments:

Post a Comment